Saturday, December 5, 2009

My Soundtrack - Winter '09

Have you ever listened to a song, band, or album that takes you back to a specific time period? Perhaps it brings back memories to what you were doing, or who you were hanging out with in the past when you hear that particular music? Well my wife asked me a similar question one day to which I shrugged off with a simple answer of "no". But I've later realized that it happens to me all of the time. Not neccessarily all music, but quite a bit will take me back to a certain time period when that music was like my soundtrack.

This brings us to this entry. In a few years, what albums will remind me of RIGHT now? I listen to a lot of records almost daily, but right now, there are a few that define these past couple, and present months in my life.

I'm going to share what has been striking my auditory senses recently.

1. Tom Waits - Glitter and Doom Live

I remember the first time I heard Tom Waits. The dark hideaway-bar sounding piano and guitar and the vocals of an old man that I figured had drank way too much whiskey and smoked way too many cigarettes. I loved his ballads of broken hearts and tales of transients and oddballs and his obvious appreciation for jazz and blues. Waits doesn't tour often, so tickets for the Glitter and Doom tour were a hot commodity for all fans. For a fan that couldn't make it out to one of the shows I'm lucky enough to be treated with this live cd. Backed by a band that compliments his vocals well, we get a nice insight as to what a night with the legend is like. Armed with a second disc full of stories and banter, it's a treasure for any Tom Waits fan. I've been spinning the cd in the car, and at home a lot since it came out a couple weeks ago.

2. Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St.

What can I possibly say about this record that hasn't already been said? I was always a huge Beatles fan, and only really knew the Stones' hits. I got a good deal on an old LP at work, so I picked it up. I remember hearing great things about this album from many people, and now I wonder why it took so long for me to pick it up!

3. Gogol Bordello - Live From Axis Mundi

This band is so energetic, raw, fun, and everyone should run to the record store and buy one of their albums. The band is led by Eugene Hutz, a Ukranian/Romanian songwriter who is so charasmatic and talented. The rest of the band is full of people from damn near every continent. The music is usually classified as "gypsy-punk" and is punk rock music with a hint of eastern European gypsy feel to it. The accordian and violin accent the music in a magnificent way. This release comes with a cd of different studio recordings, but shines with the live dvd of their songs.

4. Rushmore Beekeepers - Throwing Mud At Your Streetlight

I have had the pleasure of playing with Zach Fountain who plays under the band name Rushmore Beekeepers a couple of times, and will be again in a couple of weeks. Zach is a talented multi-instrumentalist that plays heartfelt folk songs full of stories. I bought this cd at his cd release show, and it is a nice collection of songs. Check him out at http://myspace.com/rushmorebeekeepers


5. Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain

Like the Rolling Stones album mentioned earlier, I picked this LP up on a whim. I own Bitches Brew, but to listen to it, I have to be in the right mood. It's a busy record. Sketches of Spain however is so relaxing and beautiful that I can't get enough of it. I don't know much about Jazz yet, but I'm starting to become a big fan. I've been picking up as many jazz records as I can afford.

Well, I think that's good for tonight. I've gotta be at work early in the morning!


-Joseph

1 comment:

  1. love this! Awhile back I blogged about creating a "soundtrack" for your life. In hindsight I would totally change many of the songs I originally selected but I understand that feeling. Music can be an incredible time machine.

    ReplyDelete